What are Allergies & Sinuses?
Allergies occur when the immune system responds to a minor irritant such as dust or pet dander, commonly known as an allergen, with a disproportionately strong reaction. This oversensitive response, which results in the release of histamines, leads to allergy symptoms.This is very common to people in the United States and around the world. When an allergic reaction is triggered, it can lead to sinus discomfort, which can feel very similarly to when you have an upper respiratory illness such as a cold. Seasonal changes can also result in sinus pressure.
Some supplements to aid in allergy and sinus symptoms include:
- Probiotics: These beneficial microorganisms, commonly referred to as “good bacteria,” help encourage a healthy immune system by encouraging overall digestive wellness.
- Quercetin: Quercetin, an antioxidant (present in many fruits and vegetables) is helpful in influencing the histamines that trigger allergic reactions and related sinus issues.
- Bromelain: Often paired with quercetin, bromelain is an enzyme extract sourced from pineapples that has exhibited an ability to support sinus health.
- Grape Seed Extract: This compound has notable antioxidant activity, which helps to counteract damaging oxidative stress. The extract also has qualities that may support healthy responses to allergies and sinus issues.
- Honey/Bee Pollen: Traditionally used in various wellness practices around the world. Honey and bee pollen may also support optimal immune function.
- Omega-3s: Among the most important of the essential fatty acids, omega-3s are integral to overall wellness and must come from external sources, such as salmon, flax, olive oil and supplements. Due to their immune-supporting properties, omega-3s may promote a healthy response to allergens.